Through choosing to enrich other Sailors' lives and careers, you add meaning to both their lives and your own.
Some simple steps to follow:
1. Commit: Commit to lifetime relationships that span events, commands, campaigns and geographic boundaries.
2. Care: Care for the concerns of other Sailors and their families as if they were your own.
3. Connect: Aim to connect with Sailors who will benefit and enrich other's lives in equal measure.
4. Communicate: Communicate candidly. Tell Sailors what they should hear rather than what they want to hear.
5. Expand Capacity: Aim to expand Sailor's capacity to help them give and get more from their lives.
The Litmus Test: If you are truly enriching Sailors' lives, they will typically miss you in their past. They will know that their lives and their careers would have been improved had they met you earlier.
Adapted from Rajesh Setty.