Monday, November 22, 2010

Great American's Birthday Today



Captain Clyde C. Lopez, United States Navy - retired, celebrates his 73rd birthday today.  This great American enlisted in the Navy in October 1955 and served for 40 years, retiring in 1995.

His illustrious Navy career would fill volumes.  It is sufficient to say that he was a Sailor worthy of being called a Shipmate by all who know him.


He was born on this day in 1937 in Santa Rosa, New Mexico.

Sir, Happy Birthday SHIPMATE !!

He is still serving our great Navy and Nation today - in a civilian capacity.  Talk about service!

2 comments:

CWO4 Brian Ashpole, USN - Retired said...

Captain Lopez is a fine Naval Officer. My first meeting with him was when he was NSGDEPT HEAD at NRRF Imperial Beach. I was a hungry CTR1 working over at the Sea Nymph team - he was our department head, yet we didn't see him very often because of our "ADDU" status to SPAWAR. Needless to say the next time I see him, I'm a CTRC in Okinawa and he's the NSG IG and came over for our inspection - he remembered me by name and face and asked how things were going (I was the senior R brancher at the time). I next hear from him via a phone call - he'd been in my hometown way up in Montana and had run into my dad in the resturant (town only has 3000 people). He introduced himself to my dad and asked if he was related to me. He called to tell me how much he liked speaking to my dad. Remember here - he's a very busy Captain and I'm a CTRCS on a precom ship.
We've kept in contact on a somewhat irregular basis since. He's a class act and a living legend.
Brian Ashpole

LCDR Bob Morrison said...

Agree 100 percent, Brian. I worked for him briefly during an IG inspection at NSGA Azores in the early '90's (1991, I think), and he was CO of NSGA Pyongtaek during my comeval days. One of seven (I think) brothers who served in the Navy. I was stationed with Stan Lopez at Misawa in the mid 1970's.

Happy Birthday, Captain, and hope you have many more.