Thursday, September 14, 2017

Sometimes feedback takes awhile


I write MANY letters to a diverse group of people I've met and to people I'd like to meet.  I wrote to this officer seven years ago.  He'd been assigned to a job I had in Hawaii and I had some advice for him.  Turns out, it was useful advice and he took a moment to let me know.  I appreciate that.  It gives me hope that some of the senior officers in our cryptologic community will one day pick up a pen and respond to those long-unanswered letters I sent them.  Like the writer of this letter, they have NO EXCUSE (but may have a reason) for not writing sooner.

One of the things I like to do most is to send letters of CONGRATULATIONS to officers selected for promotion.  I've also sent a number of letters to non-selects advising them not to give up on the Navy and to stick around for another look.  It's worked out for most of them.  Generally speaking, people appreciate an encouraging word.  Pick up a pen and send someone you know (or would like to know) an encouraging word.

No comments: