Monday, February 27, 2012

Failure - Getting Over It


I fail to influence people to the degree that I would like.  But I keep on trying.  I keep on communicating the message.  Hugh MacLeod has it just right in saying that "We've all failed at some point or another in our lives."  The Question is "What do you come away with?"  I have always used failure to inspire me to do better. Like my Father has said on more than one occasion, "Sometimes 'good enough' just isn't good enough."  So, failure is my muse - also.

3 comments:

seanheritage said...

I fail every day. The key is to fail differently each day. Truth is, if we are afraid of failing, we're letting the team down...

Curtis said...

All my time in the navy I learned. I don't recall that I "failed".

There were many "life lessons" that the leadership were happy to share with me but they were not necessarily failure. There was ALWAYS a clear distinction between a lesson and total abysmal failure to learn. Those that failed the test were given early leave to go.

Is it possible to just say that "I am not a robot" in the future?

seanheritage said...

Curtis - I think you nailed it. We have made the word "Fail" out to be far more than it is. We (starting with school) have blown it so far out or proportion that we are afraid to admit failure. The definition is merely "Lack of success" to "to fall short". With that understanding, I would hope that all of us feel comfortable admitting that we fail more than we might like, but we all fail on occasion. I standby my original comment. I stand proud of my many failures and am better because I was willing to fail. We all should be more willing to fail, yet never be satisfied with that as the result...