The most important thing you can do as a leader is to keep your heart open. What do I mean? Think of it this way. When your heart is closed:
- You are distant and aloof.
- You don’t connect to people.
- Communication shuts down.
- You leave people to fend for themselves.
- You focus on what people are doing wrong.
- You are critical and demanding.
- People feel oppressed.
Conversely, when your heart is open:
- You are fully present and accessible.
- You connect to people.
- Communication is wide open.
- You are a resource to your people.
- You may focus on what is missing, but not on who is wrong.
- You are affirming and encouraging.
- People feel free.