Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ensign Nico Lee Figueroa

Yesterday I had the great honor of administering the commissioning oath to Ensign Nico Lee Figueroa. He flew in from Afghanistan for the ceremony at the Navy Memorial.

The photo on the left is from 10 years ago when I was privileged to re-enlist him as his Commanding Officer at U.S. NSGA Yokosuka, Japan.

This year he was selected for CTTC and Ensign at nearly the same time.

Sunday he heads back to Afghanistan to continue helping protect our military and Afghan civilians from attack by the Taliban.

For the first time in our 12 year relationship, I was able to meet his Mother (with whom I have corresponded for 12 years), Father, Uncle (MCPO) and Wife. What a great day for me and a great day for the Navy. It was such a pleasure to meet his great family and friends. It was especially nice to put on my Navy uniform again for the first time in 4 years. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.

Brian Ashpole said...

Your legacy lives on in those that you have an impact. Well Done.

Navy Senior Chief said...

I was also privileged in serving with both Captain Lambert and then "CTT2" Nico Figueroa a little over 10 years ago. NSGA "Yoko" was by far one of my best tours of duty, mostly in part of Captain Lambert's leadership and the friendship's of Nico and numerous other great Sailors stationed there. There were so many of us that went on to rise through the ranks, whether it was Officer, Chief or senior Petty Officer. I know Captain Lambert must be proud. I wish I could have been there for Nico's commissioning, but I am sure it was a great ceremony.

Congratulation's Nico and may God be with you as you head back to Afghanistan.

I salute you. -CTRCS