- Must be able to set priorities.
- Know the importance of selecting the right people for key jobs.
- Must lead by consent, not command (emphasizing his ability to persuade, not order).
- Have a moral compass.
- Have guts at important moments.
- Have a small gap between what he thinks of himself and what his subordinates think of him.
Photo is from November 2004 when I was the Secretary of Defense's Staff Director for the Detainee Task Force working issues related to the abuses at Abu Ghraib, Bagram and Guantanamo terrorist detention facilities.