Sunday, March 11, 2012
Birth of the Naval Security Group and the Cryptologic Community - 77 Years Ago Today
In July 1922, the U.S. Navy formally established a cryptologic element, known as the Communication Security Unit, or Director of Naval Communications (DNC) OP-20-G. The unit was located at the Main Navy Building, commonly referred to as "Main Navy", 18th St. Constitution Ave.
On March 11, 1935 (77 years ago), the unit was re-designated as the Communications Security Group (CSG). This date is observed as the birth of the Naval Security Group. In February, 1943, the CSG transferred to a new facility at 3801 Nebraska Ave. NW, Washington, DC. The facility at 3801 Nebraska Avenue was known as the Communications Supplementary Annex from February, 1943. It was renamed Naval Communications Station Washington (NCSW) on July 7, 1948, and re-designated as the Naval Security Station (NAVSECSTA) on September 21, 1950.