Monday, October 17, 2011

Iconic Limited Duty Officer - Captain Eaton (Cryptology/Information Warfare) to retire after 37 years service

Captain Craig Eaton will retire on 28 October 2011 after 37 fun-filled years serving our great Nation and the Navy.  Beginning his service in 1974 as a Cryptologic Technician Technical (CTT), he served in a number of ships and submarines around the world.  In 1984, he was selected for commissioning as an LDO Ensign.

He served as the Electronic Warfare Officer and as the OUTBOARD officer in USS LONG BEACH (CGN-9).  Subsequently, he served in USS RANGER (CV-61) as the carrier's Cryptologist and Ships Signals Exploitation Space (SSES) division officer.  He was the assistant cryptologic officer and EWO in USS BELKNAP (CG-26). in 1994, he flew as the Senior EP-3E Special Mission Evaluator with Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron TWO while assigned to U.S. Naval Security Group Activity Rota, Spain.  He served as Commanding Officer twice - once as CO of Naval Security Group Activity Groton, Connecticut and as CO of U.S. Naval Security Group Activity Rota, Spain.  Most recently he served on the staff of Naval Network Warfare Command and U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/TENTH Fleet.

Fair Winds and Following Seas Captain !!

14 comments:

CWO4 Brian Ashpole, USN-Retired said...

Captain Eaton was the presiding officer at my retirement. He's a gracious leader - and in the word's of my Aunt "a true gentleman."

Anonymous said...

Iconic is correct!

LCDRLDO/6440 said...

Just might be the last LDO CAPT/6440 we'll ever see and I couldn't think of anyone better to have that distinction. I've always admired and respected him for NOT trading in what he earned for better odd's of being promoted. Thank you CAPT Eaton for your service and for being a real leader for the white hats. FW&FS.

Scott Witt, CAPT USN (ret) said...

Craig, for all that you did for the Navy and Naval Security Group, and for the thousands of things that you did for us that no one knows about, my thanks and congratulations. You are a giant among us. Best, Scott

Anonymous said...

A giant, indeed!

Clay Turner, LT USN (ret) said...

There are none that I know who have served our Navy better than Craig Eaton. A wise and honorable man with tireless dedication.

Lou Tardona said...

Craig Eaton is one of hero's. Ever since my first interaction with him back when he was detailer for the CTT community. I have always admired and looked up to him. The Navy is losing a giant for sure. The civilian community is definitely gaining one. Fair winds and following seas my friend.

Lou

CWO4 Brian Ashpole, USN-Retired said...

I guess that it's time for CDR Paul Wilkes to step up to the plate as the senior LDO in the community.

Anonymous said...

CAPTAIN Eaton thank you for paving the way for us LDO's and keeping the door open. More importantly thanks for being a great leader in our CT/IW community. Hoping I can do half of what you have done.

VR Paul

Brian I do believe you left early?

KevinY said...

Our paths only crossed once briefly in Rota Spain but your presence has been felt throughout the Mustang community for my entire career. FWs & FSs,
CWO3 Kevin Youngblood

CWO4 Brian Ashpole, USN-Retired said...

Paul - yes I did leave early (7 months 24 days shy of 30). I realize that I did quit before completing a full career.

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of working with Capt Eaton twice - once at NSGA Naples when he was still CTT1 (where I worked with CTO2 Janet Berardi, who became Mrs. Eaton), and then onboard USS BELKNAP where he was the deputy N36, first to Capt Schu then, to CDR Kurdys. I don't know of a finer Officer and Gentleman than Capt Eaton. A giant of the community, indeed. His nickname then was "Robo-Cryppie". Don't know if it stuck, but it sure did describe his tireless work ethic. If his retirement is "open to the public", I would very much like to attend. Anybody have the details?

CTOC(SW) Ed Peter (ret)

Mike Lambert said...

Chief Peter

Send me an e-mail and I will make sure you get an invite. E-mail me at mikelambert@therealnavy.com

Unleash Enthusiasm Here! said...

No disrespect to the gentlemen who relieve Craig, but it took two to fill the void.

He is a man of extreme patience; as anyone who has had to work with ME can attest.

Captain, I'd be there if I could; but as you know I have "The Watch" and you Sir, stand relieved.

Your's in Naval Service,

Shane