Thursday, January 15, 2009

Master of my Fate; Captain of my Soul

"Everything I know about Epictetus I've developed myself over the years. It's been a one-on-one relationship. He's been in combat with me, leg irons with me, spent month-long stretches in blindfolds with me, has been in the ropes with me, has taught me that my true business is maintaining control over my moral purpose, in fact that my moral purpose is who I am. He taught me that I am totally responsible for everything I do and say; and that it is I who decides on and controls my own destruction and own deliverance. Not even God will intercede if He sees me throwing my life away. He wants me to be autonomous. He put me in charge of me. "It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishment the scroll. "


"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."
Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale

Story about the VADM J.B. Stockdale Award winners here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Captain Lambert,

No truer words have ever been spoken. Not many have gone through the episodes that Admiral Stockdale has endured, and fewer yet have been able to hold their head high at the finish of those episodes.

Very Respectfully,
Navyman834

Anonymous said...

Inspiring, thank you. Sometimes we need reminding of true heroes, and simple yet effective attitudes that can sustain us when the going gets tough. I will be a regular reader.

Ex RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force)