Friday, May 27, 2011

LATE AGAIN - Just got my FITREP


Just got my 5th Retirement FITREP from my boss (wife). IT WAS LATE AGAIN and I NEVER got my promised mid-term counseling.  As in the past, this year's FITREP was brutally honest.  We reviewed my professional development plan and I'm no longer on a vector toward improvement in all 'graded' areas. Thankfully, it is a "1 of 1" in my current assignment.  Last year the narrative said that I was "1 of the best" she's known.  This year, I was downgraded to "among the best" she's known.  I think that makes this a 'declining' report.  Where was my counseling??

I am really burned up again this year as the reporting period ended on 13 May - our 31st anniversary and I am just getting my annual report now - nearly 2 weeks late. I am being denied the opportunity to rebut this report either verbally or in writing. I am appealing - through channels.

As I said, I never did get the written mid-term counseling I was promised.  The boss said that I should have acted on all the verbal counseling that I've been getting throughout the reporting period. Unfortunately, I was also denied 360 degree feedback.  I am certain that my children would have given me favorable marks. I am somewhat disappointed by all the white space on this year's report - but the grades themselves are disconcerting. "Needs improvement in all areas" seemed harsh to me. And, I don't think failing to take the Physical Readiness Test or exceeding Body Fat % should be held against me.  Step on the scales five years after you retire and tell me how well you do.

More of naval humorist and cartoonist Jeff Bacon's work can be found HERE.

4 comments:

CWO4 Brian Ashpole, USN-Retired said...

My bride subscribes to the "continuous process improvement" model. Most counselling is non-verbal and if I were to request written counselling, it would most likely be written on my forehead with a black Sharpie.

Pete Cap said...

"I am being denied the opportunity to rebut this report either verbally or in writing. I am appealing - through channels."

Let me know how that works out for you...

Mike Lambert said...

Thanks Pete. I think you know the answer to that one.

General Quarters said...

Its about significance, not success. Don't get passed over, though ;)