Sunday, January 15, 2012

For Ensign Justin Rogers and Master Chief Hughes

My boat back in 1978 - Black Panther of the Fleet

"In each submarine there are men who, in the hour of emergency or peril at sea, can turn to each other. These men are ultimately responsible to themselves and each other for all aspects of operation of their submarine. They are the crew. They are the ship."

The Submariner's Creed (Excerpt)

Ensign Rogers 
May you become the kind of submariner that MCPO Hughes was.  Our Navy always needs such men.  I salute you both for your service and for your dialog on this blog.  We are all still learning.  Admiral Vern Clark used to tell us that when we stop learning, we stop living.  Keep learning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sir,

I am very honored that a Shipmate, I consider all Sailors Shipmates, would think that I contributed to the Navy during my career. That was my intention most of the time, I did go astray a few times in my younger days but those were lessons well learned. There are still in these days a fair number of Sailors that I served with who thought I was good for the Boat and good for the crew, there are some Officers among this group and our togetherness in thought and action helped, in my opinion, to win the Cold War. That was our duty and I think we performed as ordered.

Admiral Clark is correct in his thoughts when he says; when we stop learning, we stop living. I have always felt that way and even today I feel it is a lost day if you have not learned a thing or two. And it is just about as important that you feel an obligation to pass that learning to someone else.

Very Respectfully,
Navyman834
E. A. Hughes FTCM(SS)
USN (Retired)