Friday, September 2, 2011

Practices of Successful Commands


See the note below from Admiral John Harvey, Commander Fleet Forces Command.  He continues a superb Navy program initiated back in the early 1980s - Command Excellence.  My Executive Officer and I updated these materials in the 1990s and provided them to the Command Leadership Course (CLC).  The  CLC still uses them today in their Prospective Commanding Officer/Executive Officer (PCO/PXO) courses.  You can find updated versions of Command Excellence materials HERE, HERE and HERE.

From: ADM J.C. Harvey, Jr USN

Team,

Over the past two years, I’ve released a series of “Practices of Successful Commands” messages to emphasize the importance of properly executing those programs that have the greatest influence on our Sailors, their families, and thus our Navy.

I released Part One to get the word out about what I observed some of our commands were doing that enabled them to stand out so positively above the rest. In Part Two I highlighted and asked that you give a good “spin” to a few of the programs that I felt needed some extra attention to keep them on track. And Part Three was targeted at what I believe to be the foundation of mission success – Trust.

In keeping with this effort, I recently released a “Practices of Successful Commands – Part Four” to call attention to several foundational programs that I believe, due to their significant impact on the readiness and professionalism of our Sailors, should be a priority for every command.

Although implementation of these programs starts at the top (with me and my direct reports), I’m posting this message here because meeting our objectives requires a steadfast commitment by all hands. That is why I need all of you to make sure you complete the mandatory training and apply what you learn on and off the job. My guidance to you is particularly applicable for the Substance Abuse Prevention, Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, and Suicide Prevention programs. It defeats the purpose of the training if you are attending simply to get a “check in the box.” The training for these three programs not only reinforces the “do’s and don’ts,” but also serves as a reminder of the warning signs exhibited by those (friends, family, shipmates) at risk.

I encourage you to read the message, think about it, and most importantly, do your part by completing the training and bringing that training to life in your command. Never forget – we’re all in this together.
All the best, JCHjr

No comments: