- Skill in motivating, inspiring, and mentoring civilian personnel (DoD and contractors) through a positive attitude, enthusiastic leadership, and ethical behavior.
- Skill in leading by professional example to promote team building and personnel development.
- Skill in managing conflict in a crisis by identifying potential situations that could result in unpleasant confrontations.
- Skill in managing conflict in a combat or wartime situation to maximize force effectiveness and enhance mission accomplishment.
- Skill in leveraging an ethnically and culturally diverse workforce to improve working environment and capitalize on achievements of each individual.
Taken from: Developing Senior Navy Leaders - Requirements for Flag Officer Expertise Today and in the Future (RAND Report 2008)