Tuesday, November 25, 2014

U.S. Navy Information Operations Command Yokosuka, Japan - Recent Exploits


  1. NIOC Yokosuka's team consisting of 88 Sailors and civilians who provide and deploy trained Information Warfare (IW) officers and cryptologic enlisted personnel, expertise, and equipment to support Signals Intelligence (SIGINT), Information Operations (IO), Fleet Electronic Support (FES) functions, Global Signals Analysis Lab (GSAL) functions for naval surface, sub-surface, air, and Coalition forces assigned to Commander, SEVENTH Fleet in the Western Pacific theater. NIOC YOKO's Sailors have:
    •   Worked on behalf of Commander, Seventh Fleet (C7F) staff to deliver technical cryptologic operational analytics, contributing to a 150% performance increase for cryptologic operations in the Western Pacific.
    •   Dispatched one Direct Support Officer for 133 days to the USSOUTHCOM AOR to test experimental intelligence collection equipment and develop new tactics for intelligence support to Counter-Narcotics Operations. In addition, NIOC YOKO deployed one Information Technician First Class Petty Officer for a 6 month deployment onboard the USS COLE in support of Sixth Fleet Cryptologic Operations, providing I&W and valuable intelligence collection to Naval and Joint commanders. Of note, nine Sailors Deployed to six ships in the Seventh Fleet AOR to provide I&W and valuable intelligence collection. 

6 comments:

seanheritage said...

Big fan of NIOC Yoko and the current leadership team. That said, this articulates investments made and hollow metrics...objective remains operational outcomes and value delivered. Likely not the place to articulate, but these words say little (though maybe by design). Inviting a dialogue, not a debate...

Anonymous said...

I hate metrics and our obsession with them. We need to capture the "so what" vice silly numbers...

Anonymous said...

What is a 150% performance increase?

HMS Defiant said...

Sean Heritage,

You definitely got the buzz words patt, You might need to work on the rest. What you wrote actually hurt my brain.

seanheritage said...

Thanks for feedback, HMS Defiant. I remain a work in progress with many areas in which I am pursuing improvement. And yes, my comment could have written a little more clearly, but I am willing to bet that you understood my point. That said, I am pleased to know I may have been able to help you stretch your brain a little.

Mike Schaefer said...

This post reads like an award or eval, likely to keep it unclassified. Obvious perhaps but I wonder what the intent is. Maybe the provocation of thought and dialogue. Or just to spread the information to those who otherwise might not be informed (perhaps swamped and disconnected completing a 1/1 tour) but have enough knowledge to fill in some of the blanks. I can think of a few things that DSO and IT1 might be doing, but without having read the post I wouldn't have even known they were out there. I got here because I was reading the VADM Branch response and the words NIOC Yoko off to the side of the page grabbed my attention.