Sunday, November 29, 2009

Command Climate

As CO, I consider my most important job to be creating the right command climate. To me, the right climate is one where each individual has maximum opportunity for initiative and achievement. All focused on getting the job done. The tools for creating the right climate are called good leadership techniques. Anybody who has risen to command should be able to preach leadership. But as CO, more than any other time in my life, I realized that actions do speak louder than words. If the CO doesn't practice what he preaches, he can't expect anyone else to. I believe fair, consistent leadership is the most essential element of command. Without it there is no hope of creating the climate necessary for mission accomplishment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Captain Lambert,

Well spoken Captain, it is unfortunate that all CO's do not have that the basic understanding you have expressed in this post.

Very Respectfully,
Navyman834