Because we all face situations every day that require us to give or take criticism, we provide the following guidelines on how to make the process more constructive.
How to Give Effective Criticism
- Go in cool, calm, and collected.
- Be specific.
- Criticize the action, not the person.
- Be a diplomat.
- Make specific suggestions for improvement.
- Personalize your approach.
- Point out positives.
- Follow up.
How to Take Criticism
- Consider the source.
- Shut your trap and listen.
- Don’t take it personally.
- Stay calm
- Ask clarifying questions.
- Take ownership of your mistake.
- Change your perspective on criticism.
- Thank your critic (even when they handed your butt to you).
- Take action and follow up. Get better. Improve. That's what it's all about.