Thursday, September 2, 2010

Admiral Arleigh Burke's Sage Advice


"I wish I knew of some good advice to give to new retirees from the Navy but I did not know what to do when I retired and I think I have never met anybody else who did either. Everybody's situation is different and yet there are the same problems confronting us all. A man's outlook on life must change. No longer is he part of the most interesting profession in the world. He is now an onlooker and his advice is no longer really needed anymore. He must learn to accept what is inevitable and not try to buck what is or what is bound to be. He will be respected but he won't be part of the gang anymore."

In his letter of 7 November 1985
Arleigh Burke
8624 Fenway Drive
Bethesda, Maryland 20817

1 comment:

steve osc ret said...

So true.